Bicycling in and around Atlanta.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Running Out of Gas

Last night on way home I was struck with a sudden weakness, my legs became wobbly, and I felt if I couldn’t make it up the next hill.  In short, I bonked.  Perhaps it was my lighter than average lunch, or maybe it was that candy bar I unwisely consumed before heading home, or was it the longer than normal commute combined with the warmer than expected temperatures.  Whatever the reason by the time I pulled into the Publix parking lot I felt like I couldn’t make it another inch.

 

So what did I do?  I did some shopping at Publix, drank some Gatorade, ate some jelly beans, and fifteen minutes later I was ready to go again.  What’s the point?  Well if you ride long enough eventually you’ll have a day where you get tired and feel like you can’t finish the ride.  Remember there’s no shame in taking a break.  A lot of people push themselves too hard especially in the summer.  If you don’t listen to your body you’re setting yourself up bad situation.

No comments: