Bicycling in and around Atlanta.

Friday, June 16, 2006

Scary Experience This Morning

 

I was nearly involved in an accident this morning.  I was waiting at a traffic light and had positioned myself in the center of the lane because I was continuing straight through the intersection.  When stopped like this I make it a habit to periodically check my mirror to make sure someone isn’t pulling right up on my rear wheel, so imagine my expression when I saw an older Chevy Caprice bearing down on me apparently not slowing down.  Instantly I decide to filter past the line of cars on the right and it’s a good thing I did.  The Caprice slammed on its brakes skidding into the SUV that was now on my left.  It’s probably no surprise that the driver was talking on his cell phone which flew out of his hand and hit the windshield of his car so hard it cracked.  I made sure the drivers were ok then waited around and gave to cops my statement before continuing on to work.  If I hadn’t moved I would have been a cycling pizza kind of scary to think about.  Of course if I had been in my car I would have been smashed anyway because I wouldn’t have been able to move around the stopped vehicles.

No comments: