Bicycling in and around Atlanta.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

More on the heat

We’ve got another stretch of 90 degree days coming up so why not talk yet again about beating the heat.  First as I’ve said time and time again, if you ride in Georgia in the summer you’re going to sweat.  Get used to it.  Sweat is nature’s way of making sure you don’t fry your insides.  Are you self-conscious about sweating?  Don’t be.  Look around you, people sweat buckets just walking across a parking lot.  Your sweat is no different than theirs; they walk into a store dripping sweat so can you.  Drink, often and more than you think you need.  It’s all too easy not to drink enough and that’s a sure recipe for summertime disaster.  Go slow.  I just returned for a nice three mile ride and I didn’t sweat that much.  The secret, I went impossibly slow.  On the last and steepest hill before I returned to work my speedometer read in the low single digits.  Take time to stop and smell the roses.  When I ride I tend to stop a lot.  I stop and talk to my friends and neighbors, I stop to take pictures, and sometimes I just stop to cool off.  Take off your helmet.  When you’re stopped that is.  The helmet is a big insulator for your head and in the summer it should come off the minute you step off the bike.

 

This weekend: Fathers days shopping spree. 

No comments: