Bicycling in and around Atlanta.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Making of a Retro-Grouch

As I get older I'm starting to notice some traits emerge, that once would have shamed me. The other day I noticed I was drinking from a water bottle that was stamped "Made in West Germany" and wearing a t-shirt that almost 20 years old. So I suppose it's only natural that my taste in bikes has become decidedly old-school.

So imagine my glee when I discovered this:


The Schwinn World Tour, its a pretty conventional touring bike at a great price but what's that I see? Yep a quill stem. I can't tell you how happy that makes me. In my opinion the threadless headset is one of the great abominations of modern cyclery. Sure it may have it place on racing bikes where every ounce of weight counts, but quite frankly it makes no sense on most bikes. So why is it now so common?

edit: if the Schwinn had horizontal dropouts it would be almost perfect.

2 comments:

wle said...

what;s wrong with threadless headsets though?

wle

Evan Hanson said...

I just think the old fashioned quill stems are more versatile. They allow for an extra 1" or so of adjustment without fooling around with spacers or buying a new fork.