Bicycling in and around Atlanta.

Monday, March 02, 2009

Too Early to Think About Summer?

No matter how you cut it, this is going to be a lean year. So I thought I should probably start planning my summer bicycle tour early. But where to go? Ideally I would love to get to Quebec, but that's going to be expensive. I've always wanted to do RAGBRAI but I might like a more solitary ride. Maybe something in the great lakes region? My youngest daughter wants to visit colleges on the west coast, maybe we could combine a trip. I toyed around with a trip around Lake Champlain. At this point its all still planning at this point. And before I tour I should really replace my rear cog.

4 comments:

Web said...

How much time do you have and how many miles would you cover a day?

Have you considered riding the Great Allegheny Passage? You could take Amtrak to DC then bike westward on the trail. If you don't want to ride all the way to Pittsburgh, turn around midway and ride back to DC, then take Amtrak home. That would be fun and economical.

Larry
RideTHISbike.com

Evan said...

That's a great question. I figure I have about 9 days and I can cover 60 miles a day unless it's in the Rockies. So I figure between 400-500 miles to give me some time to goof off.

Of course if things keep going the way they are at my company I could very well be unemployed and do a trans-con tour.

Web said...

60 should be an easily attainable goal and I stick to the Allegheny Passage suggestion. Other possibilities: MO's KATY Trail, Natchez Trace Pkwy, Route Verte trails in Canada or Lake Champlain loop and Xenia OH's rail trail network. Possibilities out west include rail trails in WA & ID, Glacier NP circuit, SD's Cowboy Trail to name a few. Good luck planning & have fun!

Larry

SiouxGeonz said...

GITAP :)